Thursday, June 17, 2010

Balancing Art, Life, and Health

As someone who has suffered with Fibromyalgia for some time, and also deals with arthritis, this has been something I think about quite a lot. Last night, one of the galleries where I show - the Twenty-two Gallery - was having a special event and I missed it due to feeling run down. I agonized with myself over whether or not I should go, and ultimately decided to stay home. It left me with a feeling of wondering what I may have missed.

On the other hand, this morning I awoke with one of those killer headaches I get from time to time. This was the kind of headache that makes me know I won't be functional for quite awhile. It also made me feel as though I had made the right call in staying home. Imagine a headache so bad that it shows up in your dreams - that's what I was experiencing!

About 16 years ago, I was making art that looked more like my insides than outsides - things like veins and blood cells and so forth. I haven't shown that art very much, but I'm still very fond of it. I think it actually helped me through a very rough time and helped with my healing. I'm wondering if perhaps it is time to go back to doing that kind of work.

Just some things to think about.

1 comment:

  1. Hope your headache is better now. Will be following your blog. You can check out mine at
    http://aliengenome.wordpress.com/
    Love Ty

    ReplyDelete